The Queen's Orchard is located in the north-east corner of Greenwich Park near the children’s playground and is managed by The Royal Parks. It dates back to the 17th century, its name having been found in records from 1693. It re-opened in 2013 after being restored by park staff and volunteers, with the inclusion of fruit trees, vegetable and flower beds, pathways and ponds.
The restoration work to the Queen’s Orchard contains local influences throughout, with local artist Heather Burrell, together with pupils from The John Roan Secondary and Meridian Primary Schools and the Friends of Greenwich Park, having designed the decorative metal entrance gate which incorporates its name and also the well-covering found just inside the entrance.
During 2012 pathways were formed, raised timber and brick planting beds were installed and two ponds were created, a formal lily one at the centre of the raised beds and an informal one by the fruit tree meadow. Heritage varieties of fruit trees dating back to the 1500’s have been planted, including apples, pears, cherries, plums, peaches, apricot, nectarine, medlar and quince. Volunteers working with The Royal Parks cultivate the Queen’s Orchard.
The Queen’s Orchard is open to the public between 23 June and the end of October as follows:
- Weekends and bank holidays - from 9.15am till 4.45pm (closed for lunch 12.00pm till 1.00pm).
- Wednesdays to Fridays - 10.45am till 4.45pm (closed for lunch 1pm till 1.30pm). Please note it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
There will be no access to the public from 1 November 2021 until Easter 2022.
NB. No dogs are permitted in the Queen’s Orchard other than assistance ones.